Guide to Automobile Accidents in North Carolina – Part 1
What You Should Do After an Automobile Accident
Car accidents occur every day. While the majority of car accidents in North Carolina do not result in serious, long-lasting injuries, a single collision has the power to change your life. If you have been involved in an automobile accident you may be concerned about medical bills, future injuries, damaged property and lost wages. At DeMent Askew & Johnson, we have a reputation for getting our clients the compensation they deserve, however, it is critical that you know what you should do if you find yourself in an automobile accident.
10 Tips for What You Should Do After an Automobile Accident in NC
If you are involved in an accident would you know what to do? DeMent Askew & Johnson has some tips for handling a car accident in North Carolina to protect your immediate interests. Following these dos and don’ts can make it possible for you to get the compensation you deserve; however, you should only use this advice when you can safely do so. If injuries prevent you from taking the recommended steps, always attend to your health and the well-being of others first.
- Remain at the scene of the accident. Failure to do so can result in serious criminal charges. See our article here, How A Personal Injury Claim Can Turn into Criminal Charges.
- Check yourself and others involved for injuries including pedestrians and provide help to the best of your ability.
- Call 911 for emergency medical help.
- Call the police and make an accident report regardless of how minor the accident is.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, if possible, if not, draw a rough sketch of the accident and write down details of the accident.
- Exchange information, such as names, contact numbers, email addresses, mailing addresses, and insurance information with other drivers and witnesses.
- Call your insurance company to provide them with information and ask about time limits for filing a claim and what the process is.
- Get a copy of the police report and keep all pertinent documents
- Follow through with all recommended medical treatments.
- Call an experienced automobile accident lawyer in NC. DeMent Askew & Johnson 919-833-5555.
If you have been involved in an accident you could be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, punitive damages, and your pain and suffering. At DeMent, Askew & Johnson, we know that every case is unique and our experienced attorneys have the knowledge and resources to handle complex accident cases. Let us help get you the fair compensation that you deserve. If we do not obtain a monetary settlement for you, you have the confidence of knowing that you will pay us no legal fees.
If you have been in an accident let our skilled personal injury attorneys evaluate your case and provide you with honest advice about how to proceed to recover what you are entitled to. Call us today for a free consultation at 919-833-5555.
See next Part 2 of the Guide to Automobile Accidents in North Carolina,”6 Mistakes That Can Jeopardize Your Case for Injury Compensation From an Automobile Accident“