The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate that 32 people die each day in alcohol-related vehicle collisions. Of drivers with a blood alcohol content (BAC) over the legal limit of .08 percent, younger drivers between ages 21 and 24 are more likely to become fatalities. Of motorcycle drivers involved in fatal crashes, 30 percent were riding with a BAC of .08 percent or more.
Facts and figures, death and damage, drinking and driving. Few people intend to hit the road drunk, and no one wants to end up a statistic, or contribute to the death toll.
Being arrested for drunk driving in Raleigh is frightening, and should be. The CDC recommends the following to reduce accidents from drunk driving:
- Aggressive enforcement of .08 percent BAC law, zero tolerance, and minimum drinking age laws for young drivers
- Legislation to enforce immediate suspension of driving privileges for individuals driving impaired
- Use of sobriety road blocks and check points
- Community-wide educational programs to prevent of driving while impaired (DWI)
Drunk driving in Raleigh, and throughout the United States, remains a problem, even as these laws and programs help bring those death tolls down.
Raleigh Drunk Driving Defense Lawyer
When considering these measures, it is essential to remember that individuals arrested under these laws—friends, co-workers, associates—each have important rights that protect them from unlawful arrest or inappropriate conviction.
Every individual charged with drunk driving in Raleigh has a right to an attorney to act as an advocate to protect their privileges, and provide legal counsel to navigate the charges against them.
If you are facing drunk driving charges, you need the involvement of a skilled lawyer in Raleigh. North Carolina law deters plea-bargaining by requiring explicit reasoning for reduction in charges. Thus, negotiating reduced charges requires experienced legal counsel and knowledge of the local judiciary and personnel in Wake County.
Drunk driving defense attorneys in Raleigh are committed to protecting the rights of clients charged with drunk driving also assist with the following:
- Fight to dismiss erroneous charges
- Provide representation before the Department of Motor Vehicles
- Work for release of vehicle impounds and prevention of property forfeitures
- Defend against license forfeiture and assist with restoration of driving privileges
Recitation of facts keeps us aware. Protection of personal rights keeps us honest. Both move us toward the goal of reducing drunk driving, and drunk driving convictions, in the future.
Skilled defense on drunk driving charges in Raleigh
Located in Raleigh, the experienced team of lawyers at DeMent Askew, LLP provides unwavering legal defense to individuals facing drunk driving charges and other motor vehicle violations. When your rights are at risk, we can help. Contact us online today or call (919) 833-5555 to discuss your case.